Products About Me Home Classroom Freebies TeachersPayTeachers Pinterest Email Facebook Image Map

October 18, 2016

Trademarks: A Valuable Lesson Learned

Today I was reminded how important it is to pay attention to Trademark and Copyright information. A couple of my products were removed from TPT, as they used the term "Social Thinking", which is apparently trademarked. This phrase gets thrown around so much in our field, I had no idea that this was someone's intellectual property! Unfortunately one of these removed products was my Social Skills Curriculum :(. If you have previously purchased it - don't worry! You can still access the file under your purchased items.

But - when life hands you lemons you make lemonade: I made all of the necessary changes to my curriculum, removing any reference to "Social Thinking". Instead, I used my own coined phrase: "Socio-Cognitive Skills" (and now I am thinking about trademarking THAT, haha!). I also took this opportunity to redo the product cover, which has long bothered me. The new cover is a lot less busy:


So --- problem solved and valuable lesson learned! I have reposted the curriculum HERE. I am also working with TPT to see if I can get the old version reinstated with the changed wording. I would hate to lose all of my feedback!

To avoid this happening to you, make sure to reference potential trademarks on the United States Patent and Trademark Office website.

No comments:

Post a Comment